Saturday, August 20, 2011

Sticks and Stones: An Epilogue

Raced on Sunday at Cam-Rock. Busted up my shin.
Monday: Rode to and from work.
Tuesday: At Johnny Sprocket's cross practice in the morning, then work from home. Take the Falcon into the shop for a scheduled overhaul.
Wednesday and Thursday: Wake up in the morning and ride to work.
Friday morning


Something gave way during the night, and the piled up fluid drained into my ankle causing bruising in my foot. It's hard to see in the above picture, but I have a nice crisp tan line on my feet. The yellow, red, blues and purples are not supposed to be there.

The swelling in the ankle caused pain. Pain that woke up up on Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday night. But for some reason it did not hurt enough to stop me from racing at the meltdown.

But Monday morning it hurt had hurt long enough to get it checked out. So I rode the QuBe to my Primary Care physician for walk in hours.

My Facebook status updates from Monday:
Woke up this morning at 8AM with an invitation in his BB for an 8AM conference call. Was on the call by 8:04AM, on his way to return the rental van by 8:17AM, at the Drs by 8:39AM, appointment with an orthopedic surgeon by 9:16AM, at the radiologist by 10:02AM, had six X-rays by 10:56AM, home for breakfast by 11:10AM where 20 new emails from work await.

Afternoon: Called my Primary Dr back for a different referral. Called the new Orthopedic and earliest appointment was Friday. Called back the Primary to get a new referral, and before I could press a button the PA from the new Orthopedic surgeon called me back and said, "Compartment syndrome? How soon can you get here?" He came out in to the waiting room as soon as he saw me walk in to poke my leg. He didn't think so. I filled out my paperwork, went back in, a resident then the Dr. poked my leg. Looked at the X-ray.

All three said: You have a bruise.

The quote of the day came from the Orthopedic Surgeon: "We saw nothing abnormal in your X-rays except your massive calves. You must be pretty fast."

I hope so. I certainly hope so.


No comments:

Post a Comment